(This page will be used to link to documents/resources pertaining to general pathology as well as the Oat Rust Initiative (coordinated by Oat Global and the UMN Stakman-Borlaug Center for Sustainable Plant Health). Please send suggestions for content, etc., to the editor: email@example.com)
- How do I find rust resistance-related gene sequences?
- What is the rust situation in North America like this year?
- AHDB - The encyclopaedia of cereal diseases
- An activity book for kids about plant health: "Izzy the Inspector"
Crown rust (Puccinia coronata f. sp. avenae):
- USDA-ARS Cereal Disease Lab information
- Simons, M.D. (1985) Crown rust. in Roelfs A.P. and Bushnell W.R. (eds.) The Cereal Rusts: Vol. II - Diseases, Distribution, Epidemiology, and Control. Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, FL
- Chong, J., Leonard, K. J., and Salmeron, J. J. 2000. A North American system of nomenclature for Puccinia coronata f. sp. avenae. Plant Dis. 84:580-585
- Oat Crown Rust resistance genes: Source, genome location, low infection type and tester lines
Stem rust (Puccinia graminis f. sp. avenae):
- Martens, J.W. (1984) Oat stem rust. in Bushnell W.R. and Roelfs A.P. (eds.) The Cereal Rusts: Vol. I - Origins, Specificity, Structure, and Physiology. Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, FL
- Oat Stem Rust resistance genes: Source, genome location, low infection type and tester lines
- Fetch, T. G., Jr., and Jin, Y. 2007. Letter code system of nomenclature for Puccinia graminis f. sp. avenae. Plant Dis. 91:763-7665
Powdery mildew (Blumeria graminis f. sp. avenae):
- AHDB: Powdery Mildew
- Sánchez‐Martín, J., Rubiales, D., and Prats, E. 2011. Resistance to powdery mildew (Blumeria graminis f.sp. avenae) in oat seedlings and adult plants. Plant Pathology, 60(5):646-856
BYDV (Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus)
Databases and partner services
- USDA-ARS Cereal Disease Lab, St. Paul, MN
- USDA-ARS Cereal Rust Reports
- Australian Cereal Rust Survey, University of Sydney, PBI Cobbity
- Oat germplasm resources page
- Oat gene nomenclature page
About the ORI (Oat Rust Initiative)
"Oat rust resistance is a fundamental need in the oats industry worldwide. Oat scientists have been working on this topic for many years and a rich "toolkit" for resistance breeding is available. The time is right for the community to efficiently connect these tools in a well-coordinated approach to ensure that host resistance can be managed to stay ahead of pathogen evolution over time."
Oat Rust Forum meetings
- November, 2017: 4th Oat Rust Forum, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY, USA
- February, 2017: 3rd Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- April, 2016: 2nd Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- February, 2015: Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA