(This page will be used to link to documents/resources pertaining to general pathology as well as the Oat Rust Initiative (coordinated by Oat Global and the UMN Stakman-Borlaug Center for Sustainable Plant Health). Please send suggestions for content, etc., to the editor: email@example.com)
- How do I find rust resistance-related gene sequences?
- What is the rust situation in North America like this year?
- AHDB - The encyclopaedia of cereal diseases
- An activity book for kids about plant health: "Izzy the Inspector"
Crown rust (Puccinia coronata f. sp. avenae):
- USDA-ARS Cereal Disease Lab information
- Simons, M.D. (1985) Crown rust. in Roelfs A.P. and Bushnell W.R. (eds.) The Cereal Rusts: Vol. II - Diseases, Distribution, Epidemiology, and Control. Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, FL
- Chong, J., Leonard, K. J., and Salmeron, J. J. 2000. A North American system of nomenclature for Puccinia coronata f. sp. avenae. Plant Dis. 84:580-585
- Oat Crown Rust resistance genes: Source, genome location, low infection type and tester lines
Stem rust (Puccinia graminis f. sp. avenae):
- Craigie, J.H. (1957) Stem Rust of Cereals. Publication 666, Canada Department of Agriculture, Ottawa, Ontario
- Martens, J.W. (1984) Oat stem rust. in Bushnell W.R. and Roelfs A.P. (eds.) The Cereal Rusts: Vol. I - Origins, Specificity, Structure, and Physiology. Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, FL
- Oat Stem Rust resistance genes: Source, genome location, low infection type and tester lines
- Fetch, T. G., Jr., and Jin, Y. 2007. Letter code system of nomenclature for Puccinia graminis f. sp. avenae. Plant Dis. 91:763-7665
Powdery mildew (Blumeria graminis f. sp. avenae):
- AHDB: Powdery Mildew
- Sánchez‐Martín, J., Rubiales, D., and Prats, E. 2011. Resistance to powdery mildew (Blumeria graminis f.sp. avenae) in oat seedlings and adult plants. Plant Pathology, 60(5):646-856
BYDV (Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus)
Databases and partner services
- USDA-ARS Cereal Disease Lab, St. Paul, MN
- USDA-ARS Cereal Rust Reports
- Australian Cereal Rust Survey, University of Sydney, PBI Cobbity
- Oat germplasm resources page
- Oat gene nomenclature page
About the ORI (Oat Rust Initiative)
"Oat rust resistance is a fundamental need in the oats industry worldwide. Oat scientists have been working on this topic for many years and a rich "toolkit" for resistance breeding is available. The time is right for the community to efficiently connect these tools in a well-coordinated approach to ensure that host resistance can be managed to stay ahead of pathogen evolution over time."
Oat Rust Forum meetings
- November, 2017: 4th Oat Rust Forum, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY, USA
- February, 2017: 3rd Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- April, 2016: 2nd Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- February, 2015: Oat Rust Forum, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA
(Other information can be found in the "Oat Newsletter Archives" and more recent "Research Report" sections, as well as in the "Historical Documents" section)