AHDB Spring Oat Forum (virtual)
"Join us for this webinar dedicated to sharing and discussing the latest trial results and research in the growing of spring oats. Hear the latest findings from work on nutrition, varieties and practical management of the oat crop.
This is a specialist, practical workshop for spring oat growers and prospective spring oat growers, jointly hosted by AHDB and Gowlett Grain. This event builds on the previous three years of the Spring Oat Forum, held in East Anglia.
Our speakers include:
- Rosemary Hall, Crop Research Services – Oats triallist, who will speak on recent research completed with growers focussed on drilling date and impacts on yield and quality, fertiliser and agronomy interactions and cover cropping ahead of spring oats.
- Ian Lutey, RH Topham & Sons – Cambridgeshire oat grower will talk of his oat growing experiences, agronomy and how spring oats are being successfully used as an alternative break crop.
- Dr Steffen Beuch, Nordsaat Saatzucht – As Head of the Nordsaat Oat Breeding Station, Steffen will talk through the quality aspects of spring oat growing, with a focus on varieties and agronomy.
There will be an opportunity to ask your questions and share best practice in the growing of this crop. Sarah Clarke, ADAS, will be joining the panel discussion, along with the speakers.
This event is free to attend and BASIS and NRoSO points are available. Register to watch live or receive a recording to watch at a later date, at your convenience.
- 08:30 Welcome and introductions - Teresa Meadows, AHDB and Gordon Gowlett, Gowlett Grain
- Objectives of the session and format
- Poll and kick-off questions from the audience
- 08:40 Lessons learnt from spring oat research in harvest 2020 - Rosemary Hall, Crop Research Services
- Drilling date vs yield and quality
- N and fertiliser product findings
- Cover cropping before spring oats
- 09:00 Spring oat growing in practice - Ian Lutey, R H Topham & Sons
- Agronomy on-farm
- Spring oats as an alternative break crop
- Putting on-farm trials learnings into practice
- 09:15 Spring oat breeding - Dr Steffen Beuch, Nordsaat Saatzucht
- Achieving success when growing spring oats
- Quality aspects of spring oat growing, with a focus on varieties and agronomy
- 09:30 Questions and discussion - Q&A with the speakers, Sarah Clarke, ADAS and audience
- 09:55 Round-up, how-to resources for use on-farm and conclusions - Teresa Meadows, AHDB and Gordon Gowlett, Gowlett Grain
- 10:00 Meeting close
Session to be recorded and shared with resources post the meeting.
For more information, please contact Teresa Meadows at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07387 015465."