ORDC Oat Day, Ottawa, ON, Canada
"Oat Day" at the Ottawa Research and Development Centre (ORDC) of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is hosted every year by breeder Dr. Weikai Yan and his team. This year's agenda is below. If you wish to join us, please contact Weikai Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Charlene Wight (email@example.com).
Ottawa Oat Day, 18 July, 2019
(draft agenda, 11Jun2019)
8:30 am: Meet at the entrance of the Ottawa Research and Development Centre facing Carling Ave.; get ready to go to the oat fields.
Address: 960 Carling Ave., Ottawa ON (N.B.: if you need to sign in or get a parking pass, please arrive early.)
Once in the field:
- Welcome by Michèle Marcotte, Dir. RDT, ORDC, STB, AAFC
- Tour of the oat fields. In the nurseries we have:
- Breeder Seed plots of new cultivars/lines
- Quebec Oat Registration and Recommendation Test
- Ontario Oat Performance Test
- Western Cooperative Oat Registration Test
- USDA Midseason Uniform Oat Nursery
- ORDC Oat Registration Trial
- ENCORE (Joint Test of 4 North American Spring Oat Breeding programs)
- ORDC Home Test (with genomic selection)
- Quaker Oat Area Test
11:15 am: Leave the field and return to KW Neatby for lunch and research reports (lunch and soft drinks will be provided).
Noon: Information reports and discussion:
- Announcements: Michèle Marcotte, Dir. RDT, ORDC, STB, AAFC
- Bruce Roskens, Grain Millers, Inc.: “Challenges of oat variety development in the 2020’s”
- Weikai Yan: “Overview of the CFCRA Oat project and update on new oat cultivars”
- Nick Tinker and Wubishet Bekele: “Genomics-assisted breeding of oat at Ottawa RDC”
- Bao-Luo Ma: “Economic Optimum Rates of N: Site-specific Responses of Oat cultivars and Crop Lodging”.
- Allen Xue: “Prevalence and severity of oat diseases in Ontario, 2009-2018”
- Charlene Wight: “Oat data management: Back in the POOL and mapping the way forward”
3:00 pm: close