"Plant Breeding for Low Input Systems" - U. Alberta, Edmonton, AB
Hear from breeders, farmers, and industry about what it takes to breed cereals for organic and low-input production. Learn about the selection process, organic cereal agronomy, and the traits farmers and buyers are looking for. The day will feature new research, varieties, and an overview of the University of Manitoba Participatory Plant Breeding program.
We will also tour plots of new organically-bred wheat and oat varieties, heritage cereals, and farmer-bred wheat and oat lines from the Participatory Plant Breeding Program.
- Dr. Martin Entz, Professor of Cropping Systems and Natural Systems Agriculture, University of Manitoba
- Dr. Dean Spaner, Professor of Agricultural Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta
- Dr. Jennifer Mitchell Fetch, Research Scientist, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Farmers from the University of Manitoba Participatory Plant Breeding Program
- Grain Buyers, Millers, and Bakers, including Grain Millers, BonTon Bakery, and Boulangerie Bonjour
Please see the attached flyer for more details.